Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Weighty Issue


 
Recently, I was having a discussion about weight, metabolism and body images with some girls at work.  These women are beautiful, strong, healthy woman.  It amazes me how much time and energy they spend thinking about their bodies.  I do believe that our body types and metabolisms are somewhat genetic but that doesn’t mean we are doomed nor does it mean that thin people don’t have to work hard to maintain their figure.  I see how my thin friends watch what they eat, deprive themselves of sweets and get up at the crack of dawn to work out before work. 
However, what surprises me most is how my friends, who are beautiful with bodies anyone would kill for, are treated.  Some woman can be so hateful and jealous.  I have seen people pass by them and give them dirty looks or not even acknowledge their existence because they feel threatened.  Sometimes we can't even go for a walk without some creepy guy following us and God forbid you have a supervisor and anyone else who has control over your career who feels threatened by a beautiful woman.   
I have fought many battles being overweight and it isn't easy but what I learned is it isn't easy having what is perceived as a perfect body either.  Woman can be cruel and judgemental and men can perceive you has an object of beauty instead of a person.  I used to think that as long as you can fit into J Crew clothes then life can't be too hard.  You never really know the battles other have to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment