Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I have been reading a lot about homemade detergent lately and finally got around to making my own.  From everything I have read they all seem to use the same ingredients which can be made into a liquid or a powder form.  The only difference is the liquid form you boil with water and let it cool into a sort of thick liquid.  Since the liquid form is diluted with water you use about 1/2 of cup per load.


  • 1 – 55 ounce box of Arm & Hammer® Super Washing Soda = $3.99
  • 1 – 76 ounce box of 20 Mule Team® Borax = $4.69
  • 1 – Bar of Fels-naptha soap = 1.39 each   (I bought 4 bars)  Ivory soap works well also

  • I got everything here locally at our grocery store, Wegman's.

    Grate one bar of soap and mix with 1 cup of Borax and 1 cup of Washing Soda.  Stir everything together really well, it is just that easy.  You only need to use 1 tablespoon per load, if you have heavily soiled laundry you can add a little more. 

     So, after using this for awhile I will probably never buy regular detergent again.  At about 0.05 cents a load I am saving quite a bit of money.  My old detergent cost around 0.22 cents a load. 

    Also, I have tested it on smelly, dirty lacrosse and football clothes and everything has come very clean.  You can rub the Fels-naptha directly on a stain and it works great.  The only thing I miss is that fresh like Downy smell so I buy dryer sheets to solve that issue.
    Remember 1 tablespoon is all you need.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment